March 29, 2010

Life

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson and the Comedy of the Extraordinary Twins
 
Television, movies, books and the media bombard us with epic and grand narratives. They tell us how wonderful a person’s life is - they make us want to believe that our lives too can be some kind of grand discourse. A life that people discuss in detail over coffee - or tea and scones. Only for the most part, we never achieve this assumed greatness. We never reach the pinnacle of success that has been set down for us.
 
It leaves us disappointed and resentful. With a need to blame someone. Ultimately though, we can blame no one else but ourselves. It is us, as individuals who have brought into the lies and the deceit. It is us, as individuals who are seeking out the fame; the immortality. Only a few ever achieve it and I cannot say I believe them to be the lucky ones.

For as much as I might seek out what others tell me I want; what others tell me I need; I am slowly learning, daily and sometimes painfully, that I should be happy with what I have. I think what this concludes to is the acknowledgment that our individual grand narratives are okay however they turn out. You get back what you give so to speak.

We rush around so much with the necessary and pointless tasks of a day we forget to give this consideration.
I know I had forgotten. So here's to the grand narrative I want remembered. To the only story I want remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment