October 19, 2010

Tower Hill, Aldgate and Liverpool

Please be aware that this post is image heavy if you have a slow browser.

 
*****

 
What did I do today? Well to start with, an awful lof of nothing. Which, when summed up in short is, I watched the first episode of the new Sherlock. It's interesting but having been to the real 221B Baker St in the last week, that part is a disappointment. Oh well.

 
Finally got myself organised and took the tube from Turnpike Lane to King's Cross St Pancras, changed lanes and went on to Tower Hill. When you exit the Tower Hill tube station, I recommend turning left and going up to the giant sundial, because you also see this...
Not taken today but you get the idea - The Tower of London
From here I got my Iphone out and guided myself around on a tour I found on the net, aided by the trusty GPS that is inbuilt in the phone. While I was walking to the starting point of the walk I came across these. I don't know what they are, but they were impressive.

 

 
The next two places I'm going to show images of aren't on the walk I found, but it doesn't matter. When you've only got yourself to worry about you go where you feel like.

 

 
Inside All Hallows Church - this is the oldest church in London

 
This next picture shows one of the artworks a group was cleaning. It looked like quality work too, which is nice.

 
Facing this alter is the organ.

 

 
A banner I really liked was hanging on one of the walls.

 

 
The Baptistry

 
William Penn was baptised in this font in 1644

 
Down some stairs you come to the undercroft. There is a small room for St Clare (the irony) - these pictures are first, and for St Francis. These two rooms however, have an incredible feeling to them. I don't know how long I sat here.

 

 

 

 

 
Part of the St Francis room dates back to Saxon England. Those know me, know how exciting this is.

 
Also. ROMAN TESSARY FLOOR!!

 
"This is one of the most perfectly preserved tessellated Roman pavements in the city of London, dating from the late 2nd century. It is the floor of a domestic house and has a gully and is thought to be the position of a wall."

 
Another area of the undercroft

 
"All Hallows by the Tower possesses one of the finest complete sets of ancient parish registers in southern England. They record a social history of the Tower Hill area, and indeed tell us much of the life of the City of London from the mid-sixteenth century up to the present day.

 
The registers on display show the names of prominent figures, as well as anonymous citizens of London, who by birth, marriage and death have participated in the history of the parish.

 

 
Top of Cross - Probably Saxon - found 1940
Down the road I came to St Olaf's

 

 

 
Then, as I walked on and round a corner, I was met by the gerkin. Apparently this was also the site of an IRA attack.

 

 

 
And from within all the beauty of London, you then get this monstrosity of architecture...

 

 
St Katharine Cree was a surprise but a good one.

 

 

 

 

 
This isn't the original church. Records have the original in a grave state of disrepair and so it was demolished in 1629 and subsequently rebuilt. The only remaining original feature that remains is three foot of pilar, hidden today by construction work.

 
Away from things holy and sacred is the spot where one of the victims of Jack the Ripper was found. I wish it still had more of a vibe to it, but this is all that remains.

 

 
Next on the walk was another church called St Botolph. I missed out being able to go inside by twenty minutes. I was disappointed by this as this church saw the burial of 5000 bodies in its boundaries during the time of plague. Perhaps it's a little morbid, but I find this fasinating.

 

 
The only remaining wooden structure in London to survive the Great Fire.

 
The Hoop and Grape

 
Random art works on the walls...

 

 

 
And it was at this point, a few kms and 3.5 hours later, that I gave up on the tour. The heavens opened and I was almost drenched to the skin within minutes. I still don't feel 100% warm. Guess I should get used to it though, it's only going to get worse from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment